onomatopeia

After four years of bull runs as a rollerbull for San Fermin in Neuva Orleans, my favorite moment remains the same.

It happens in steps, but very quick steps.

I raise my bat, take aim and swing. There is an immediate thwonk followed by a jump up and a quick waaahh or ouch or damn it that actually hurt. This process happens quickly and repeatedly for blocks on end. This is really explained better visually, but words will have to do for now.

I usually look for the ones who aren't paying attention, walking, or pushing some large ice chest and unable to get away quickly. I hit the gals as hard as I hit the guys, the old as hard as I hit the young and when you complain about how much it hurt, I tell you to get on the sidewalk if you don't like it.

This year there was a gauntlet of rollerbulls about 50 girls deep. Late comers would get through one section and just as they thought they were done, run into my group. Some stopped and prepped for a fast charge. Others walked, pranced, skipped... a handful enjoyed the beating just a little too much.

Well, that's all the bull I have left for today.

Until next year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Big Fat Sharpie